
Latest news, sport, business, comment, analysis and reviews from the Guardian, the world's leading liberal voice
The court said Yoon had ‘committed a grave betrayal of the trust of the people’ over his ill-fated declaration of martial law in December
South Korea’s suspended president, Yoon Suk Yeol, has been removed from office after the country’s constitutional court voted unanimously to uphold parliament’s decision to impeach him over his ill-fated declaration of martial law in December.
After weeks of deliberations and growing concerns about the future of South Korea’s democracy, all eight justices voted to strip Yoon of his presidential powers.
Continue reading...Fri, 04 Apr 2025 03:39:53 GMT
Campaigners denounce ‘cover-up of a cover-up’ as IOPC clears officers of scapegoating Liverpool supporters
A 12-year investigation into the Hillsborough disaster by the police watchdog has concluded that no senior South Yorkshire police officers were guilty of misconduct for falsely blaming misbehaviour by Liverpool supporters.
That police case was wholly rejected in 2016 by the jury at the second inquest, who determined that no behaviour of Liverpool supporters contributed to the disaster, which happened on 15 April 1989 at the FA Cup semi-final between Liverpool and Nottingham Forest at Sheffield Wednesday’s Hillsborough Stadium.
Continue reading...Thu, 03 Apr 2025 20:08:38 GMT
Kristolina Georgieva warns against retaliation to US levies while US president insists ‘markets will boom’ after sweeping tariff announcement
- Full report: Global markets in turmoil as Trump tariffs wipe $2.5tn off Wall Street
- Analysis: Trump’s ‘idiotic’ and flawed tariff calculations stun economists
New Civil Liberties Alliance, a conservative legal group, has filed what it says is the first lawsuit seeking to block Donald Trump’s tariffs on Chinese imports, saying the US president overstepped his authority. Reuters reports:
The lawsuit, filed in federal court in Florida, alleges that Trump lacked the legal authority to impose the sweeping tariffs unveiled on Wednesday as well as duties authorized on February 1 under the International Emergency Economic Powers Act.
“By invoking emergency power to impose an across-the-board tariff on imports from China that the statute does not authorize, President Trump has misused that power, usurped Congress’s right to control tariffs, and upset the Constitution’s separation of powers,” NCLA senior litigation counsel Andrew Morris said in a statement.
Continue reading...Fri, 04 Apr 2025 03:58:02 GMT
Munther Abed, 27, was in the first ambulance on the scene of an airstrike near Rafah when Israeli soldiers opened fire
• Gaza paramedic killings: a visual timeline
A survivor from a massacre of Palestinian paramedics and rescue workers in Gaza has said he saw Israeli troops open fire on a succession of Red Crescent ambulances and rescue vehicles and then use a bulldozer to bury the wreckage in a pit.
Munther Abed, a 27-year-old Red Crescent volunteer, was in the back of the first ambulance to arrive on the scene of an airstrike in the Hashashin district of Rafah before dawn on 23 March, when it came under intense Israeli fire. His two Red Crescent colleagues sitting in the front were killed but he survived by throwing himself to the floor of the vehicle.
Continue reading...Thu, 03 Apr 2025 14:49:00 GMT
Defense chief and others discussed US military operations on messaging app that included journalist
The inspector general of the Department of Defense (DoD) is launching an investigation into Pentagon secretary Pete Hegseth’s use of the encrypted messaging app Signal to discuss sensitive information about military operations in Yemen.
The investigation, announced on Thursday, follows a bipartisan request from the Senate armed services committee after allegations emerged that highly precise – and most likely classified – intelligence about impending US airstrikes in Yemen, including strike timing and aircraft models, had been shared in a Signal group chat that included a journalist.
Continue reading...Thu, 03 Apr 2025 20:06:38 GMT
Sources for sexual misconduct claims say honorary award, if given to actor, could have made his behaviour worse
The Guardian’s sources for sexual misconduct allegations against Noel Clarke feared an honorary award from Bafta would make him “untouchable” and increase the severity of his behaviour, the high court has heard.
Sirin Kale, a co-author of the series of articles about the Doctor Who actor, said she did not believe that the sources collectively decided “they wanted to damage Clarke’s reputation”, as he claims.
Continue reading...Thu, 03 Apr 2025 17:49:31 GMT
LSPH chief executive announces ‘groundbreaking proposal’ intended to grow international rail travel from the UK
Cross-Channel train services serving new destinations will be cheaper to run under a scheme to grow international rail travel from the UK.
London St Pancras Highspeed (LSPH), which owns and operates the railway and stations from the capital to the Channel tunnel, said it would slash charges for operators planning new routes.
Continue reading...Thu, 03 Apr 2025 23:01:36 GMT
Dr Amy Orben says there are no ‘one-size-fits-all answers’ given importance of access to online information
A leading academic tasked by the UK government with reviewing the effects of smartphones on teenagers has suggested blanket bans are “unrealistic and potentially detrimental”.
Amy Orben, from the University of Cambridge, will lead the work on children and smartphone use that has been commissioned by the Department for Science, Innovation and Technology (DSIT) along with a team of other academics from a number of UK universities.
Continue reading...Thu, 03 Apr 2025 21:00:33 GMT
A man, a woman and five children got out unharmed from blaze that took hold of terraced house in Prescot overnight
A 13-year-old girl has died in a house fire near Liverpool.
The blaze was found in the first-floor rear bedroom of a mid-terraced house in Kingsway, Prescot late on Wednesday evening, Merseyside police said.
Continue reading...Thu, 03 Apr 2025 20:28:26 GMT
Police say man landed on island in attempt to meet the Sentinelese people – a tribe untouched by the industrial world
Indian police said on Thursday they had arrested a US tourist who sneaked on to a highly restricted island carrying a coconut and a can of Diet Coke to a tribe untouched by the industrial world.
Mykhailo Viktorovych Polyakov, 24, set foot on the restricted territory of North Sentinel – part of India’s Andaman Islands – in an attempt to meet the Sentinelese people, who are believed to number only about 150.
Continue reading...Thu, 03 Apr 2025 17:10:30 GMT